Subject: Re: Improper cylinder configuration
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Merideth Johnston <merideth@sky.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2000 06:49:47
hmmmm.  could this be part of my problem, too?  Sorry, but I can't move the
4gig partition out - the space I have available is in the outer region, and
I've got 1.4 meg of that 4 gig filled up with Mac stuff already.  I got a 4
gig disk because they don't sell new disks any smaller than that
anymore.... Does this mean I can't use any of the available space on my
large hard drive?  I didn't see anything about it in the Readme's.  Of
course, I knew less then than I do now, so if I did see it, I might not
have sat up and taken notice.  If this is so, then I can just stop trying
to access it, and all my questions in my just-sent note are for naught.  (a
somewhat distressing state of affairs, as there is considerable space
available there)

At 12:00 AM -0800 1/28/0, Paul Sander wrote:
>Have you tried using Mkfs to format the root partition only, then
>installing NetBSD, booting it, and then using newfs on the usr and
>var partitions?  I had similar problems with a disk larger than 1GB,
>and this workaround got me past it.
>
>There's a note somewhere in the README file discouraging people from
>formatting disks larger than 1GB with Mkfs.  It seems to work okay
>if you limit its access to partitions completely contained in the
>lowest 1GB of any disk, however.
>
>--- Forwarded mail from kmayson@viconet.com
>
>>I have 4 NetBSD partitions (root,swap,usr,var) and 7 total partitions on =
>>a 1.25GB disk.  It seems that I can make partitions correctly using FWB =
>>Hard Disk Toolkit and Apple HD SC Setup, I can run Mkfs, change and =
>>format these partitions, run install and build devices into /dev on =
>>root, and the rest of the stuff (in short the apps definitely read and =
>>can write to these partitions).  I can install the base.tgz files, but =
>>when it gets to the tarball with the  /var files, I get an error saying:
>
>>Error on SCSIRead(), # 5 -- this happens 6 times
>>pos =3D 0, i =3D 27, fs =3D /var
>>alloccgblk:  can't find blk in cyl
>
>>I look at the various log files from Mkfs and Installer and they both =
>>say that there is a certain number of sectors unallocated.  How do I =
>>rectify this?
>
>--- End of forwarded message from kmayson@viconet.com

Merideth
merideth@sky.net     ;)-{8-->=     li'l wimyn      @-{--E=

http://www.sky.net/~merideth/ - visit my poetry page & art gallery
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9311 - genealogy site
http://www.anyboard.net/arts/artnpoetry/index.html - Art & Poetry Message
Board

*       *
                                                                           *
Don't weep for me because I will not know happiness, weep only if my
passion dies before I do.