Subject: Re: segmentation fault
To: NetBSD list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Taylor <dtaylor@ionet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/2000 11:31:23
Merideth Johnston wrote:

> Hi folks.  Me again.  I have half a dozen books from the library now, but I
> haven't found anything on this message, "segmentation fault".  I figure it
> was something that creapt in from my initial bad shutdowns, and grew into
> some kind of disaster area.

A segmentation fault means that your program is getting out of bounds.
That is, it is attempting to address memory that doesn't belong to it.
I'm guessing you are working in C, so look for improper dereferencing.
The C hackers can help you out here.

<snip>

> Oh, another question I want to ask before it slips my mind - is it possible
> to pass info between the Mac partition and NetBSD partition on the same
> machine, ...

Since both OSs are not running at the same time, I don't see how a
communications program can work. While Unix is running, you can use
hfsutils (I think this is the right name) to get to the MacOS partition.
I don't know how to get to the Unix side from MacOS. There is likely
some kind of Mac utility to do this. There is something called
LinuxDisks that works when the Unix is LinuxPPC or MkLinux. In any case,
I would be very leery of writing to the "other" OS partition. You can
safely read from the "other" partition.

Dave