Subject: Newly installed, and completely lost
To: NetBSD list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Merideth Johnston <merideth@sky.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/2000 00:08:35
Hi.  Newbie here.  After much bewildering perusal in the endless web, I
managed to figure out what files to download, how to set partitions, etc.,
and have followed the installation instructions to success...

[I have NetBSD 1.4.1 installed on a zip disk (slightly damaged from nuking
it so it no longer knows it IS a zip disk if it is in the drive when I boot
the Mac - it thinks it's a real one with eternal properties and as such
cannot be dismounted, though it behaves as a regular zip disk if mounted
after the mac is up - a not altogether undesirable twist.]

up until it says "post installation...."  There, I was completely
buffaloed.  The first thing that threw me was the question, "terminal
type".... huh?  I have no idea what it finally took to get past that
question, nor any idea what my "terminal type" might be.  Plus, I was
IN(!yipee!) but I knew not in what, or where, or how to get back OUT of
wherever I was IN.  Somehow, I chanced upon a manual (I'm not sure what I
entered to finally get it, though) and in perusing it, I found a few items
that made sense.  I have to tell you, it felt like I'd fallen down the
rabbit hole with Alice.

Could somebody tell me what to do once I AM installed?  The instructions in
the Install doc are not at all accurate, and I don't know what it is
talking about for the most part.  I don't think I can take another wander
through the maze on your web site without breaking something important in
my organic partition, so please, if you have a page there with the
appropriate information, could you give me the exact url for it?  Thanks
much, and bless you.

ps - if anybody could tell me in general terms how to make a menu that will
come up at startup, so I can associate descriptive items with commands
rather than memorize coded giberish like crazy (something I never have done
well) I'd appreciate that, too.  It will be my first project with this
beast.  8-)

Merideth
merideth@sky.net     ;)-{8-->=     li'l wimyn      @-{--E=

http://www.sky.net/~merideth/ - visit my poetry page & art gallery
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9311 - genealogy site
http://www.anyboard.net/arts/artnpoetry/index.html - Art & Poetry Message
Board

*       *
                                                                           *
Don't weep for me because I will not know happiness, weep only if my
passion dies before I do.