Subject: Re: BSD/Mac68k Booter Problems
To: Dirk Hoppe <Netzhaut@t-online.de>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/2000 18:20:53
> I have a problem with the BSD/Mac68k
> Booter v.1.11.3 and 1.11.4 on my machine (Quadra 840AV, 80 MB RAM, MacOS
> 8.1).
> When I start the booter it switches the screen to B&W and shows the
> dialogbox. So far, so good !
> When I click "boot now" the speaker of the  machine makes an awfull loud
> noise (1 second), but starts to boot into NetBSD 1.4.1.

	I used to get this on my Q840av too. Never found out the cause.
Strangely enough, zapping the PRAM on the Mac fixed it for me.

	Try holding down the Apple, Option, P & R keys when turning
the Mac on. The screen should eventually flash, which indicates that
the 'zap' has happened. Then you will need to reset your clock and
mouse settings, but the Unix boot will probably proceed silently.
turning the Mac on

> On another disk I installed OpenBSD 2.6. Starting this system doesn=B4t work
> at all. Till the dialogbox appears everything seems to be allright. When I
> click "boot now" the machine makes the same silly noise, the screen turns
> white and the cursor stops at the upper left edge, typing anything.

	This is probably an incompatible kernel. I don't have any
experience with the OpenBSD kernels, but you might try an older version
of the kernel. (e.g. bsd-generic.tar.gz from OpenBSD 2.0 thru 2.5)

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality  is  that  which  |
| Telstra IN & InD, Sydney, Australia.  |  doesn't go away when you  |