Subject: Re: Terminal emulators on NetBSD
To: Lorenzo Corradini <lcorradini@katamail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2000 17:39:28
On 9 Jan 2000, Lorenzo Corradini wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to install NetBSD/pmax
> on a DECstation. Bob told me that I'm
> hopless in using my NetBSD/mac68k as "helpler"
> machine because Ultrix and NetBSD disk labels
> are incompatible. I'll try with a netboot
> with NetBSD/mac68k station as bootp and
> tftp server.

That should work.

> My problem: I use the DECstation attached
>             with a serial connection
>             to the MacOS because I have no
>             monitor for it. I need to
>             do the same thing with NetBSD/mac68k
>             in place of MacOS.
> My question: how can I start a terminal emulator
>              (and what terminal emulator)
>              on my NetBSD/mac68k
>              to receive from the serial line
>              of the Macintosh the prompt of the
>              DECstation? I read the xterm
>              documentation but I think
>              this is not the right tool to use.

Right, xterm is the xwindows terminal program.

I'd suggest tip. It's in the base install.

Make sure you set up /etc/remote right. I think you want something like:

console:dv=/dev/tty01:br#9600:pa=none:dc:

which works with "tip console".

The entries are seperated by colons. The first field is the name to give
tip. Then dv= specifies the device. /dev/tty01 is the printer port. br# is
the baud rate. pa= is the parity (none here), and dc means direct connect
- tip shold NOT wait for DCD to be asserted before begining
communications.

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill