Subject: Samba long filename (was: Re: 1.4 vs 1.4.1 vs 1.4.2
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Fuan Tsai <ft11@cornell.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2000 16:49:10
Hi, all

This may be some what off the original topic, but since you mentioned Samba
it reminds me something...

I successfully built Samba-2.0.6 from pkgsrc, but the long filename works
one-wany only. When our users (on NT, 95/98) tried to write files with long
filenames to the Samba server, they got a message saying "The destination
doesn't support long filename" and asked them to convert to 8.3. Copying
files from Samba to Win machines works fine, though. The same smb.conf
works fine on a IRIX 6.5.x machine (running Samba 1.9.x), so I don't think
this is a configuration problem. Am I missing something on the NetBSD side?
Or the mac68k port doesn't support long filename?

The machine in question is a Q800 running NetBSD 1.4.1 with generic kernel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fuan Tsai