Subject: Re: 1.4 vs 1.4.1 vs 1.4.2
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: gkrall <gkrall@pmi-kc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2000 15:12:03
This is a MIME-encapsulated message
If you read this, you may want to switch to a better mailer
--__==========00000000030061==pmi-kc.com==__

*This message was sent using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTP*
--__==========00000000030061==pmi-kc.com==__

*This message was received using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTP*
--__==========00000000030061==pmi-kc.com==__

David Brownlee wrote:

> > I've notice that there does not seem to be a whole lot of precompiled
> > pkgs for Mac68k 1.4.1 eg:samba.  Are poeple not packaging because they
> > are waiting for 1.4.2 or is the 1.4 stuff compatable w/ 1.4.1?  I tried
> > to build Samba but the build failed. I suppose I could start over w/ 1.4
> > and get the things I need.
> >
>         The 1.4 binary packages should work fine with 1.4.1.
>         What problems did you find with building samba - you are
>         using pkgsrc? :)
>
>                 David/absolute

It's been a while since I tried and my memory fails me.  I think I filed
a pr w/ the package folks.  Might not have have gone through tho.  And I
used pkgsrc with a fresh build of pkg_tools.  Maybe I didn't update the
pkg_src....hmmm.  I got the 1.4.1 pkgsrc and built pkg tools from that.
I then cd to the samba directory and did a 'make && make install' but it
failed about 14hrs into it.  Then other things (y2k) distracted me for a
week or six.  I can plug the box back in and give 'er another try if the
resulting info will help others.  As for me, i can use the 1.4 binary.

So in general are pkg binaries major/minor version compatable?  I'm
using 1.3.x to 1.4.x nomenclature as a major version jump and 1.4 to
1.4.1 as a minor jump.

Tanks,
Gerald
--__==========00000000030061==pmi-kc.com==__--