Subject: Re: Cron job won't run
To: John Pannell <john@banff.newyearsday.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/2000 07:25:37
On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, John Pannell wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed Webalizer to generate nice web stats.  It
> runs from the command line just fine.  I wanted to set it up as a cron job,
> so I added the following line to my /var/cron/tabs/root file:

did you add it with

# crontab -e

as root?

> The cron job doesn't run however.  No new report page is generated and I
> cannot find any evidence in the log files that it ran or generated any
> error.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

from the cron(1) man page, cron examines the crontab files at startup and
also if the /var/cron/tabs directory modtime has changed.  Note that
direct editing of /var/cron/tabs/root does not change the directory
modtime.  crontab(1) does change the directory modtime and thus makes cron
re-read the crontab files.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

ps, this question is more appropriate for netbsd-help since its not really
mac68k specific.