Subject: Re: 8 Gig disk partition limit
To: Donald Lee <donlee@icompute.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/2000 18:14:56
Donald Lee  (donlee@icompute.com) wrote:

>Another question:
>
>Is there an inherent limit of 8 Gig on an ffs partition?
>
>I have an 18Gig disk, and I want to use it as a single partition.
>The tools I have seem to limit me to 8 Gig per.
>
>Is this me, the tools, or the filesystem?

There's no limit on the disk size, even in the mac68k port.  I ran an
18Gig drive on my mac68k system for over a year.  The problem is in
getting it partitioned under MacOS.  Most versions of MacOS that still
run on the 68k line of Macs have limits on partition size.  My solution
at the time was to partition the disk on a PPC mac, then move it back to
the 68k system.  Nowdays you have another (experimental) method.  If you
use a copy of the Installation Kernel which includes sysinst, it is
capable of partitioning a disk of this size for NetBSD use.  If you want
to give it a try let me know and I'll make a copy available for you that
is known to work on my 18Gig/NetBSD mac68k system.

-bob