Subject: Re: 40 Mb HD
To: Jean-Francois Fortier <jefortie@cgocable.ca>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/2000 11:38:46
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Jean-Francois Fortier wrote:

>     Would like to configure a IIsi as a ppp router to share internet
> connection, but I only have 40 Mb HD.  Say 4 megs for MacOS boot, 8 megs
> swap = around 27 megs available.
>
> my question is: is there something in the base package I can remove to
> gain some disk space ? In fact I only need basic routing and ppp
> fonctions ?

Well, it might be possible to leave out the MacOS boot partition by
booting from a (tightly configured) floppy.  Just the System file and the
Booter application renamed Finder - something like that.  Of course, you'd
probably want to install NetBSD with the drive in another machine, or
using an external MacOS boot drive (Zip, perhaps?).

Also, if you have enough real RAM, and you are *sure* that you aren't
going to try to use more than you have, you could get away with a token
swap partition - or none at all.

You might be able to get a slightly larger hard disk donated.  Most 80 MB
drives that shipped with Macs were replaced by larger versions before the
macnines were retired.  Might not cost you more than shipping, or a quick
trip 'round to a local computer graveyard.

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)