Subject: Re: Semi-Off Topic: Haunted IIcx
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2000 17:01:51
Henry B. Hotz writes:
> My IIcx seems to have decided it doesn't want to be off and now
> spontaneously turns itself on at intervals from a few seconds to a couple
> of days.  Is this a problem which might be due to a bad backup battery on
> the motherboard, or is it really the power supply?

I don't know about the couple of days, but at intervals of a few
seconds, this typically happens if the power button on the back of the
system is in the locked "on" position.  If you stick a coin or screw
driver in the slot on the button and rotate it 90 degrees, this will
unlock it (assuming this is the problems that is...).

The power button on the IIcx (and IIci, maybe others) could be set to
the lock-on position for when the systems are used as servers; when
set, the system automatically powers itself up whenever it is shutdown
or whenever there's a power failure.

John