Subject: Re: Speed Increase from Open to Net
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1999 17:14:42
Grant Stockly wrote:
> Using a NetBSD 1.4.1 kernel, I want to know whats wrong with my computer!
>
> Using OpenBSD(2.5) it gave a cpu delay of 260.  With NetBSD(1.4.1) it
> displays 800!
>
> The machine is running SOOOOO much faster and uses much less memory/resources!
>
> I noticed immediately that the kernel started up much faster -and- had much
> faster hard drive access.
>
> The machine has a 68040 processor, 10GB Seagate 5 1/4 full height SCSI
> drive, and 44MB RAM.  (Centris 650)
>
> Why is NetBSD so much faster than OpenBSD.  I thought their kernels
> structures were related.
>
> Impressed with his new BSD dist, (thought it was just a slow box)

the cpu delay calculation has been completely revamped in -current, and i
believe that this change was pulled into 1.4.1.  the new numbers bear
absolutely no relation to the old ones.  i wouldn't be surprised if
openbsd/mac68k hasn't picked up this change quite yet.  as for it actually
feeling faster, some of the -current kernels i've played with seem even
faster than 1.4.1...

later.

colin