Subject: Re: memory for IIx
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1999 11:02:22
At 6:21 PM -0800 11/16/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>> Since I was the "private email" source Wonko referred to this is not
>> independent confirmation, but I'm pretty sure of myself on these points.
>>
>> >I'm pretty sure only the II required PALs; the IIx motherboard was designed
>> >to accept standard 4MB SIMMs.
>>
>> I do not know of anyone trying larger than 4MB SIMMs in an original II.
>> The point about 4Mb chips being the problem even if it was a 1MB SIMM was
>> well made.  The problem is that there was a test mode invented for the 4Mb
>> chips which the original II motherboard design did not know it needed to
>> avoid;  hence random crashes.  My IIcx does not have the problem, and the
>> IIx and SE/30 were all similar vintage.
>
>I agree that the cx doesn't have the problem, but according to
>http://www3.simpletech.com/cgi-bin/configurator.cgi , the II and IIx use
>the same memory.
>
>I've never understood why the IIx had the problem when the IIcx didn't - I
>_thought_ they were released at the same time.

I was inclined to be suspicous of the reliability of that URL.  However I
see that the latest version of Apple Memory Guide says the same thing.  I
think the IIx is slightly older than the IIcx and closer to the original II
motherboard, but the ROM is identical and the release dates were less than
a year apart.