Subject: Re: cable/@home
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1999 19:52:12
On Nov 16,  6:27pm, Alex Barclay wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Erik Huizing wrote:
>> Has anyone out there got their BSD system hooked up to a cable modem
>> (specifically, the @home network)?
>> I've been having the damnest time getting set up properly. Everything
>> works, just inbound traffic to my machine seems to take forever.
>> Downloading off of it, I easily get 50-70K/sec, but uploading to it, I see
>> at best 1.5K/sec.
>> Just wondering if anyone might know how to fix this.
>I currently have @home in the Colorado Springs, US area. They say that
>only PC's and Mac's are supported but I have a Sun 3/470 hooked up. I use
>the DHCP identifier they gave me with the dhclient stuff.

The only thing they'll install to (and I say this as if it were an
absolute ;-) is PowerMacs and PCs.  But once it's installed, anything
that speaks the proper protocols can talk to it.

>I routinely see 70KB/sec in both directions. Ironically I frequently see
>higher upstream BW than downstream

I _had_ one, until I moved.  I had it installed to my Mac, then moved it
to my gateway PC.  The best speeds I had from it were 65K upload and 500K
download.  Going back to a regular modem is *so* painful, but they're
promising my area should have them within a month.

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
		-- Walt Kelly, "Pogo"