Subject: Re: spontaneous coredumps?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/1999 11:35:05
At 13:02 Uhr +0100 12.11.1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:
>[ please keep me in the cc: list as I do not subscribe to port-mac68k ]
>
>I have a few IIci's here which I have been trying to bring from 1.4.1 to
>-current. However, they seem to be suffering from fairly frequent spontaneous
>coredumps. Usually these are in 'make' and so the build process stops between
>targets (how nice!), but sometimes a set of processes croak all at once, and
>when this happens it usually includes getty/inetd which makes it hard to log
>in except on the console...
>
>I get similar symptoms on two machines (using the same hard drive however).

Todd,

first thing that comes to mind: Which 53c80 SCSI driver do you use? And
have you tried the other one (there are two, sbc and ncrscsi)? Next, there
may be hardware problems (RAM).

I have a IIci running as NAT gateway/uucp/internet server here. I don't
build much software on it, but ever since 1.3, I have seen coredumps under
high load, especially from INN related shell scripts. 1.4.1 has added the
occasional unmotivated kernel panic. I changed RAM and switched the
motherboard, but it didn't make any difference. Switching from ncrscsi to
sbc has reduced the frequency from one core per day to a core per week,
though.

>While installing I noticed some very weird behavior from the MacOS installer
>on small partitions, might there be some problems with its ffs code?

Known problem (the ufs code in the booter and the installer is _old_).

>BTW the sources I am building are on NFS, since these Macs all have small
>disks (either 232 megs or 500 megs).

Enough swap?

>Any help or pointers to mail archives (since the mail-index host appears to
>have disabled searching recently) would be appreciated.

Not only that, but the <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/>
directories have not been updated since July or so. Don't know what's going
on there.

	hauke