Subject: Re: Mode32
To: None <wonko@entropy.tmok.com, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/1999 10:48:05
>is there any merit in re-writing the ROMs?  or is that an undertaking that
>nobody is will to do?
>
>ok, let's assume we can find someone who will re-write the ROMs (i know some
>really impressive microcode people, but sadly they know nothing about actual
>computers since they deal mainly with integrated devices.

The ROM is not microcode. Just assembly-language for either 68K or PPC.

>anyway, back to our assumption (people to do it), what would be the best way
>to do it?  NetBSD doesn't really even use the ROMs right?  so why not make
>a ROM that does nothing but put us in 32-bit mode (which may be automatic
>with new ROMs) and then looks on the SCSI bus for a NetBSD kernel?

On most Macs, the ROM is SOLDERED to the motherboard (the IIx is an
exception, because Apple was planning to replace it with a 32-bit clean
one, but never got around to it)

Dan Killoran

The National Society for the Prevention of Abuse of Apostrophes brings you
           the following reminder:

its      means "belonging to it"
it's     means "it is"

(Hint: if you can't remember this, just don't use apostrophes at all!)