Subject: Re: sorry to ask...
To: None <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
From: Scarlet Macaw <parrothd@radiks.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/1999 06:41:04
Jon Lindgren wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Eric Damien Berna wrote:
>
> > If that doesn't work out, you may be able to accomplish this with the
> > computer hardware at your disposal.  My first computer was the
> > original Mac, and I've always had a Mac since then, so I've never had
> > to work out this particular problem.  Maybe somebody else on this
> > list has some ideas.  We'll need to know to what other computers you
> > have access.
>
> There is an option if you have an intel box with DOS/98/NT/other $%@#.
>
> A program called "transmac" will read mac bin (and hqx, I believe, but
> don't trust me on that one) and decompress the file to disk in proper MAC
> format.  I used this to install 7.5.3 on a quadra 650 with a new hard
> drive (i.e. no MacOS).  I used an NT box which was lying around.
>
> Let me know if you need more on this - I'd be happy to help you as much as
> I can.
>
> -Jon Lindgren
>  "Xyzzy!  You're a duck!"
>  jlindgren@espus.com, yubyub@yubyub.net

Yet another possibility would to use a MacEmulator program called
'Executor' It can be found at www.ardi.com. It is a handy utility for
making 1.4meg mac disks that are readable/bootable on Macs. You may need
to search for an older demo version online as I'm not sure if the
current demo allows you to write to floppys or format them. Executor
comes preloaded with a MacOS clone/rewrite. But I'd go to the homepage
for more info.

P.S. I used this program in 97 or 98 to install MacOS 7.~ on a OS-less
Powerbook

ChrisMckay
parrothd@radiks.net