Subject: Re: sorry to ask...
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Wonko the Sane (Brian Hechinger) <wonko@users.tmok.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1999 18:02:49
Eric Damien Berna drunkenly mumbled...

> What you've found is MacOS 7.5.3 as disk images in Mac files.
> Somebody else gave a good explanation of what the difference between
> MacBinary and BinHex (by the way, both are open standards, Aladdin
> only owns the SIT compression format).

ok, now i know.

> The problem with these files are that they assume you have a working
> MacOS system to use to make the disks so that you can install MacOS.
> That's quite a Catch 22.

uhm, you bet. :)

> What we need is a way to get these files onto Mac format disks.  The
> easiest way is if you can get access to a Mac with a floppy drive on
> the Internet.  Use that  Mac to make the floppies for System 7.5.3.
> Do you have a nearby friend, library, school, university, business,
> etc. that may let you use a Mac and an Internet connection?

i have a friend with a G4 and a ZIP drive, and my father has a ZIP drive on
his PC.  so i can downlaod what i need and give it to him.

> If that doesn't work out, you may be able to accomplish this with the
> computer hardware at your disposal.  My first computer was the
> original Mac, and I've always had a Mac since then, so I've never had
> to work out this particular problem.  Maybe somebody else on this
> list has some ideas.  We'll need to know to what other computers you
> have access.

i have access to numerous PCs, including the one i'm working with now (my
father's, i need new HDDs for my SUN) and one that is in the same building as
the Mac (although i'll be moving it here soon) so i have plenty of options.

thanks for the help!!

-wonko