Subject: Re: BSD on a floppy?
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1999 14:38:39
On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 02:25:22PM -0600, Eric Damien Berna wrote:

> >to boot from a locked floppy. Can anything like that be done with a Mac
> >version of BSD (or Linux)?

PicoBSD, but for Intel only, not to mention that its a minaturized
FreeBSD.

> All I know about is NetBSD/mac68k.  I don't follow the other Unix
> clones that work on Macs.

NetBSD isn't a unix clone :) NetBSD is full blown 100% true Unix, because
it is derived from BSD4.4 a recognized Unix.

> You can't do that with NetBSD/mac68k, mostly because the Mac needs to
> boot into MacOS before NetBSD, so we don't have enough room on a
> floppy to include NetBSD also.  Once direct boot works (which may
> never happen, nobody is working on it, and I don't see the effort as
> worthwhile), and maybe some enhanced floppy support will be needed,
> this may be possible with NetBSD.

You can possibly take a stripped down kernel , and gzip it. Then INIT the
booter, then stick it all on a floppy and boot from it. You can set the
booter to boot from a kernel on a HFS disk automatically.

--

Cheers,
Sean

--