Subject: Re: BSD on a floppy?
To: Daniel Knight , <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1999 14:25:22
>Byte.com has been running a series on setting up a DNS/DHCP Linux server
>to boot from a locked floppy. Can anything like that be done with a Mac
>version of BSD (or Linux)?

All I know about is NetBSD/mac68k.  I don't follow the other Unix
clones that work on Macs.

You can't do that with NetBSD/mac68k, mostly because the Mac needs to
boot into MacOS before NetBSD, so we don't have enough room on a
floppy to include NetBSD also.  Once direct boot works (which may
never happen, nobody is working on it, and I don't see the effort as
worthwhile), and maybe some enhanced floppy support will be needed,
this may be possible with NetBSD.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.3 on a Mac Quadra 800