Subject: Re: sorry to ask...
To: NetBSD Mac68k <wonko@entropy.tmok.com, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1999 09:40:12
>...but as you all know i'm not a MacOS guy.  ok, found MacOS 7.5, but now i
>have a question.  do i want MacBinary or BinHex format?  this is going to be
>a clean install (not an upgrade), so which is better?
>
>-wonko

What you've found is MacOS 7.5.3 as disk images in Mac files.
Somebody else gave a good explanation of what the difference between
MacBinary and BinHex (by the way, both are open standards, Aladdin
only owns the SIT compression format).

The problem with these files are that they assume you have a working
MacOS system to use to make the disks so that you can install MacOS.
That's quite a Catch 22.

What we need is a way to get these files onto Mac format disks.  The
easiest way is if you can get access to a Mac with a floppy drive on
the Internet.  Use that  Mac to make the floppies for System 7.5.3.
Do you have a nearby friend, library, school, university, business,
etc. that may let you use a Mac and an Internet connection?

If that doesn't work out, you may be able to accomplish this with the
computer hardware at your disposal.  My first computer was the
original Mac, and I've always had a Mac since then, so I've never had
to work out this particular problem.  Maybe somebody else on this
list has some ideas.  We'll need to know to what other computers you
have access.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.3 on a Mac Quadra 800