Subject: Re: Macintosh IIx
To: NetBSD Mac68k <wonko@entropy.tmok.com, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1999 17:17:05
At 4:40 PM -0800 11/2/99, Wonko the Sane wrote:
>i just aquired a Macintosh IIx (1988-1990) and i've got a couple questions
>about it (i'm sure i'll have more later)
>
>is there anyway of getting more than 8MB of ram in it?

Yes, but it may cost more than it would to get a new machine.  Be glad you
got a IIx instead of the plain II.  That had some really special needs for
expansion.

>what is the real-world speed of a 16Mhz 68030 with 8MB ram?  what could i use
>it for?  i could really use a firewall machine so i can get the firewall off

You could probably run some non-X stuff on it, but don't count on much in
the way of compile speed.  A NAT gateway with two Ethernet cards would
probably be OK.  A DNS cache would probably also be OK.

>of my SUN (which is REALLY supposed to be just a desktop, but as usual isn't)
>DNS Server, what am i looking at here.  can it run Netscape and maybe be yet
>another cheesy 8-bit web surfer here in my house?  (it is 8-bit, or do i have
>to find out what video card i have?  or can we safely assume 8-bit?  has an
>RGB monitor, so i'm assuming it's got SOME graphics ability?)

The "Toby" card may be only 4-bit, but can be upgraded to 8-bit if you can
find the memory chips.  Again they may be more expensive than just
replacing the whole machine these days, or you may find a used card for
cheap.

I'd stay away from anyting to do with X on this machine, though it should
"work".