Subject: Re: DUOTEST kernel
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1999 09:17:19
At 8:06 AM -0500 11/8/99, Bob Nestor wrote:
>The entry which is used is based on the machine ID obtained under MacOS
>using the Gestalt API system call.  Unfortunately there are a number of
>machines that return the same machine ID but use a different set of ROM
>code, so whatever MacOS is using to uniquely identify these systems, it's
>more than just the Machine ID.

We should probably parse the SResource at the end of the ROMs. That will
always give you the "real" machine you're running on. This is probably what
MacOS is really using to identify machines. Doing this would also allow us
to do one more thing in NetBSD and one less thing in the booter that
requires MacOS.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill