Subject: Re: Problems with 1.4.1 - netbsd-GENERIC.gz
To: Kevin MacDonell <kmacd@pacbell.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1999 17:17:29
Kevin MacDonell wrote:
> I keep getting a failure unzipping this using the Mac Installer program...
>
> Something like:
> >Choose file(s) to unpack
> >Inflating...
> >bad block type 3
> >Invalid compressed data--format violated 2
> >Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
>
> I did use Fetch 3.03 in binary mode to download the archive - is it
> broken on the server (ftp.netbsd.org)?

it's in gzip format, not tarred gzip (which is the format used by the
installer).  i'd recommend using the kernel from the sets subdirectory
instead of the kernel from the kernels subdirectory.  it should install
just fine.  if you really want to use the one you have, you can just use
'cpin' from the installer's minishell to copy the kernel into the root
directory.  you should be able to boot from a gzipped kernel file as long
as you specify the name of the kernel you're booting.

i hope this helps some.

later.

colin