Subject: 1.4.1 Kernel Rebuild and panic: fpu_add
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Satoshi Hirai <hirais@po.teleway.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1999 01:56:56
Hi!

I'm trying to use the kernel that is rebuilded by environment.  But
it's not work normally.

The symptom of the problem is a message (on booting time).
> starting local daemons: apacheIllegal instruction - core dumped

After boot process complete, login as root and execute 'ps -aux' command.
The result is:
> # ps -aux
> USER     PID    %CPU ...
> panic: fpu_add
> Stopped in ps at    _Debugger + 0x6: unlk  a6
> db>

I read this mailing list archive and find 'fpu_add error' topics.  But
it seems the problem isn't resolved.

Somebody said stack trace (t command) will display good information.
So I enter 't' command.  The Result is:
> db> t
> _Debugger (...
> _panic
> _fpu_add
> gcc2_compiled.
> _fpu_logn
> _fpu_emul_arith
> _fpu_emulate
> fault() + c

My environment:
CPU: IIvi (68030 16MHz no fpu)
Memory: 20MBytes
Disk: Quantum FireBall 2GBytes

kernel conf:
- Using GENERIC, but selecting 'sbc0' instead of 'ncrscsi0'.
- Delete Some SCSI device, such as scanner, tape.
## When I tested 1.4.1 binary distrbuted kernel,
## 'sbc0: parity error' message was displayed on the console.
## So I guess some SCSI driver is not match to IIvi.

    *

I tested GENERIC-13 pre-build kernel.
Apache can't start by 'Illegal instruction'.  The ps -aux command not
become trigger for panic, but it displayed storange result.
> ps: proc size mismatch (8840 total, 666 chunks)
Each process STARTED time is '1Jan70'.

By the way, I not have to use sbc0 SCSI driver on GENERIC-13 kernel.
I hope I can use ncrscsi driver on IIvi.  (for CPU resouce saving)

    *

Is there any hints, work arrounds, patches?

I hope you could understand what I mean although my English is not
good enough.

Thank you.

---
Satoshi Hirai                                  From Kanagawa, JAPAN
                                    E-Mail: hirais@po.teleway.ne.jp