Subject: Re: Sendmail in weird environment
To: Chris Brown <cblist@cityb.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1999 06:45:07
On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 12:34:51PM -0800, David A. Gatwood wrote:

[snip]

> > Problem is all my scripts call sendmail and send-mail bone-headedly
> > assumes that it shouldn't use smtp for delivering messages to local users,
> > even if I specify a FQDN.  I've tried every parameter I could think of
> > trying to override this behaviour and force it to use smtp for local users
> > to no avail.

Wouldn't this create a looping type of problem?  If the local sendmail
uses smtp to deliver locally, it would connect with itself in a loop.  Or
did I miss something?

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Chris Brown wrote:

[snip]

> You could create a mapping from a local user to your remote host like this:
>
> localuser	remoteuser@remotehost.com

Wouldn't a .forward file achieve the same effect, or is there a
difference?  And even in that case, [assuming I understand the problem
correctly] SMTP outbound is blocked, resulting in the inability to
forward.

Be patient with me, and let me see if I have it right:

A------|------B
      FW

Basically, A is on campus, B is at work, and the FW inbetween blocks SMTP
going from A to B, correct?  So you set up a ssh forward which would cause
"telnet A 25" to actually connect to "B:25", right?  And now you want mail
coming to A to be re-routed (via the ssh tunnel) to B:25?

If so, is B setup to receive mail to A's domain?

If the campus allows access from B to A via POP or IMAP, I'd suggest using
something like fetchmail (if that's feasible).

-Jon Lindgren
 "Now new and improved!  No markup!  Hypoalergenic!"