Subject: Sendmail in weird environment
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1999 12:34:51
I'm trying to get sendmail working in a rather hostile environment.  The
campus network admins won't allow smtp traffic from residence hall
connections because too many people haven't upgraded sendmail to turn off
relaying, and they didn't want to become the next netcom (spam haven).

Unfortunately, I have a number of scripts, etc. that depend on being able
to send mail to non-local users.  So, I've set up an ssh port forwarding
tunnel between the smtp port on the machine and the smtp port of a machine
on my work network.  That means that any program that actuall uses the
smtp port will be able to deliver mail.

Problem is all my scripts call sendmail and send-mail bone-headedly
assumes that it shouldn't use smtp for delivering messages to local users,
even if I specify a FQDN.  I've tried every parameter I could think of
trying to override this behaviour and force it to use smtp for local users
to no avail.

Any suggestions?
David