Subject: Re: CVS server hosed? (fwd)
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1999 19:52:59
David A. Gatwood  (dgatwood@mvista.com) wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:

>> > This sounds like the mkfs/df bug that's been cropping up with every
>> > third new install to send email to the list.
>> >
>> > Has this been fixed, Bill? Only in current? Reintroduced in 1.4.1? Is
>> > there a way to get sane numbers without re-mkfs'ng?
>>
>> I installed the -current snapshot that corresponded with the kernel, and
>> everything snapped back into shape (and ps looked a whole lot nicer, too,
>> obviously).
>
>Well, I must have been imagining things.  I just did a DF, and it's still
>psychotic.  I don't see how it could be a mkfs bug, though....  The
>Mac-side MkFS never had trouble with this sort of thing until... well
>maybe NetBSD 1.3 or so?  I know I don't remember anything like it back
>when I first worked with it in... I guess it was around 1.1....

The Mac-side Mkfs code which deals with the on-disk structure has not
changed since the days of 0.9.  The only changes that have been made
since than that I know of are the ones I made, and all I changed were the
low-level I/O routines (also used in the Installer), and some of the
logic about how to get the disk parameters which are passed into the
newfs code.

Basically, Mkfs was constructed (back in the MacBSD days) by grabbing a
copy of newfs from BSD and putting a MacOS shell around it.  All I played
with was the shell, and I don't think anyone has done a thing with the
rest of the code.  At one time I did look to see if there had been any
changes in that code compared to what is now used in NetBSD in the newfs
command.  There were so many changes I decided the best approach would be
to just yank the original code and jam the current NetBSD code in, i.e.
just place the MacOS shell code around what NetBSD currently uses.  I
never completed that project because I got caught up on other things that
were more important to me.

I can easily believe that there are some low-level file structure issues
with the MacOS-side Mkfs.  I have a much harder time believing that they
exist in Mkfs 1.46 and not Mkfs 1.45 knowing what changed between the
two, unless it's one of those boundary issue problems in the filesystem
being created on disk.

Anyway, if someone would like to pick up and work on the MacOS-side Mkfs
I do have a new MacOS shell pretty much designed and implemented which
contains the I/'O routines for both SCSI and IDE.  Both SCSI buses are
supported too, for those with the hi-end 68k Macs.

-bob