Subject: Re: e/net card recognition at boot
To: charlie allom <charlie@pobox.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/1999 15:23:15
> >Surprisingly, the sRsc item for the Ethernet Address is missing. Perhaps
> >this is why you are having trouble.
>
> are there reasons why this could be so? non-standard hardware etc?

Most ethernet cards for the Mac are lacking this sRsrc.  I don't know
why except that a lot of nubus h/w vendors seem to slap together just
enough of a declaration ROM to get by.  Not too different from PC
vendors except that there is a lot more experience/expertise out there
for ISA/PCI/etc., and fewer requirements.

Just like in the PC world (except perhaps moreso), there appears to
be a "that's OK, our driver will handle it" mentality.  ...which doesn't
help us much.  ;-)

> i have emailed cabletron systems about the card, and _amazingly_ i
> received a reply stating that they were "looking into it"....

If they can tell you the memory, PROM, and register offsets for your
card, you should be in a good position for getting a working driver!

-allen