Subject: Re: More problems with Apple Ethernet card
To: None <dgatwood@mvista.com>
From: Ken Nakata <nakata@sequent.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1999 13:30:45
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:38:13 -0700 (PDT), "David A. Gatwood" <dgatwood@mvista.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on why this could be dying there?  BTW, just
> > to refresh, it's a DP83934, not a 932, according to the chip on the card.
> > It's an old card, which I believe was built by Apple, but again, it's
> > _not_ the one with a 68000 on board (A/ROSE... Vrtx... ick).
>
> A little more info, it appears to have some foreign writing, which at a
> glance appears to be Japanese.  Its english description says
>
> Apple Computer, Inc. 820-0511-A
> Apple Ethernet NB Twisted-Pair Card
> (C) 1993
>
> Main chip is
>
> Sonic-T(tm)
> DO83934AVQB
>
> Two chips by TI, a handful of smaller chips, some discrete devices, a
> crystal, and what appears to be the declaration ROM or something.  Seems
> like a regular old Sonic card, just with a newer chip rev.
>
> Looking at the info from National Semiconductor, It looks like it should
> be backwards-compatible.  I have the strangest suspicion that there's
> either an interrupt issue or possibly even just a different memory offset
> at work.  Any thoughts on where to begin tracking this one?

Does it have some RAM (probably a couple of small, i.e. <64KB, static
RAM chips) on it?  If so, the card sounds like the one I tried to get
to work back when I was at Rutgers.  The card was in their Mac IIci
and I left Rutgers before I finished the work...  If you want my diffs
to sn driver, let me know.

Cheers,

Ken