Subject: Re: Boot issue with 1.4.1
To: Tom Reale <treale@mfi.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1999 10:14:08
Tom Reale wrote:

> I've encountered two unexpected issues during this process:
>      1. After partitioning the drive and running the Install utility for
> the first time, I am able to use the Mini shell to create the /usr and
> /etc directories. However, all attempts to mount sd0g and sd0e to these
> points yield the message "/usr : No such file or directory" or "/etc: No
> such file or directory". The syntax I've employed is: "mount /dev/sd0g
> /usr". I've tried removing the directories and recreating them, and also
> using the other version of the installer that shipped with this version
> of NetBSD.

as others have noted, you've forgotten to build devices.  i'd like to add
1 thing tho:

	DO NOT PUT /etc ON A SEPARATE PARTITION!!!!

sorry for shouting, but if you put /etc on a separate partition, then when
/etc/rc tries to mount all of your partitions and mount looks in
/etc/fstab for those partitions, it won't be there.  you lose, big time!
feel free to put /var or /home there, tho.

anyway, i hope this helps some.

later.

colin