Subject: Re: Mkfs_1.46
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1999 06:50:34
Frederick Bruckman  (fb@enteract.com) wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>> > Tommy Smith  (thsmith@online.no) wrote:
>> > Mkfs formats the three NetBSD partions, but only _half_ the size it
>>
>> Right, because they really are 512-byte sectors. :-)
>
>No question there...
>
>> The problem is that if you tell mkfs an incorrect sector size, it'll make
>> an incorrect filesystem. :-)
>
>The way I read Tommy Smith's message, the _default_ Sector Size was
>256. I seem to recall Mkfs_1.45 coming up with odd defaults for the
>other paramaters, but never anything but 512 for the Sector Size. So
>is that the case, that Mkfs produced a _default_ Sector Size of 256,
>or is this simply a case of pilot error?

I didn't change anything in that section of Mkfs for the 1.46 update, so
unless the new CodeWarrior Pro 5 compiler generated bad code this time
around this shouldn't be any different between 1.45 and 1.46.  It's been
some time since I looked at that section, but as I recall it gets this
value from the drive itself by doing a Mode Sense.  That's why some have
reported in the past that they were unable to use certain disks with
NetBSD because they were originally formatted for block sizes other than
512.  MacOS seems to be able to deal with this though.

-bob