Subject: Re: connecting a scsi device to an SE/30
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <squeegy-macbsd@squeegy.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1999 22:23:29
It hangs on booting the mac os.  I have the scsi device terminated.  it is
set to scsi id  3.  the internal should be scsi id 0 correct? is there a way
to check this?  I can choose another scsi id and try that.  also someone
mentioned trying reformatting with the Apple HD utility.  I guess I will
try that as well.  I hope the cable isn't bad, I can't afford to replace it.

> If you mean that it hangs with a grey screen at power on or something
> similar, it's probably a termination problem.  Some machines are more
> sensitive to termination problems than others.  Not sure why... maybe the
> trace length on the motherboard or some difference in the electrical
> stability of some component or... who knows.  Anyway, check the
> termination.
>
> I've also seen this sort of problem if a SCSI cable is just plain bad.  It
> will work under certain circumstances, giving mostly successful results on
> one machine, although usually with random crashes under MacOS) and not
> being able to boot with it attached to another machine.  Thus, you should
> also consider replacing the cable and see if that helps.
>
> Finally, that symptom can be caused by two SCSI drives having the same
> SCSI ID.  In some cases, a machine will boot and ignore one of the drives.
> The MESH controller used on PCI PowerMacs is a good example of this.  Not
> sure how that works, but it appears to....  However, other SCSI hardware
> will just plain refuse to deal with a bus with an ID conflict.  And, of
> course, if you were moving this drive from one machine to another, it's
> quite possible (likely, even) that you'd have another device at a given ID
> on one machine and not on the other....  :-)
>
> Hope that helps.
>

> Later,
> David

Jt "The Squeegy" Chiodi