Subject: Re: terminals, ethernet
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1999 23:25:07
>I've loaded NetBSD on an LC II. I followed the readme and edited rc.conf.
>When I rebooted and logged the prompt asked for the terminal (which I set to
>vt220). I retyped vt220, and got the following error (or something to that
>effect): vt220 unknown terminal. I tried vt100, and a few others that I
>could think of. I ended up using control-c to get out of this loop. This
>left me in a situation where I could not invoke vi, which complained that no
>terminal had been set and quit. Further I ended up in an unconfigured shell
>(no .rc files had been read), what a joy...
>
>Is there a package that I may have neglected to install? Otherwise how can I
>change things without an editor?
>
>The kernel properly finds aet0 (pds slot card). But when I use ifconfig to
>bring it up, any attempt to pass data through results in a core dump (ping,
>ftp). Any hints?

When you installed your system, did you make separate /usr and /
partitions? If so, then when you use the installer, it only mounts the root
partition, so you'd have to manually mount /usr in the minishell before
doing the installs. If that step was missed, then the /usr stuff is
actually created in a directory called usr which resides under /....and
that directry is hidden when the /usr partition is mounted to the same
access point.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.