Subject: Re: 1.4.1 parity error on boot (concluded)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1999 14:01:44
I tried some other parameters, and this is the situation:

>1) Using GENERIC, but selecting 'sbc0' instead of 'ncrscsi0', the compiled
>kernel will NOT boot, getting the error
>
>sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>
>scsibus0 at sbc0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
>sbc0: parity error!
>sbc0: parity error!
>

>2) Using the same config, but with DEBUG turned on in addition, it boots
>and runs correctly.

3) Using the same config, but with DEBUG turned on, M68040 off, FPU_EMULATE
off, DEBUG=-g on, kernel will NOT boot, getting the same error.

 I am using

>Mac IIvx - 68 MB RAM, disks are 2 1020 Quantums - 1 is partitioned into 140
>MB swap + the rest root+usr. The other is partitioned into 250 MB Mac + the
>rest usr1

since these parameters have nothing to do with each other, I conclude that
the error is caused by the size of the kernel, and that bigger is better!

If anyone would like me to try anthing particular, let me know.

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)