Subject: RE: netboot from system 7.1? (was: how to install on a cold IIcx
To: 'Tommy Smith' <thsmith@online.no>
From: Lindgren, Jon <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1999 06:17:49

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF10AD.2E3BAD10

> I've tried both "transmac" and AppleTalk (NT - shared directory)
> without succseed.  Both of them manage to copy the disk sets from
> Apple (ftp) to the mac, but my system 7.1 just proclaim that it
> could'nt open the files because the program that created the file
> is not present.
>
> maybe I am missing some system components?

No.

Basically, transmac can do the following: unpack an hqx, and write the
resulting image to a mac disk.  This way, it creates the proper data/text
(forget which two pieces they are) for each file, ignoring what other OSs
tend to do to compound files. Mr. Hotz refered to this in his email:

> The usual way to do this is to use .hqx files, which are text
> encoded, and feed them to something like Stuffit Expander.

Of course, we don't have stuffit expander.  Chicken and the egg, right?

So transmac will do the part of stuffit here; it'll take a straight text
.hqx file (from NT in this case) and allow you to format a MAC disk and
decode the hqx to the MAC disk.  That way, we can break the poultry/ovum
cycle.

Part one of the 7.5.3 disk set should produce an smi file (self mounting
image), and the rest should produce part01-part18 files.  Once you've copied
them all to the mac's HD, you should be able to double click on the smi
file, and it should verify then mount a new volume on your desktop.  Under
this new volume is the 7.5.3 install stuff...  This _does_ work - I started
off with a Quadra 650 with MacOS 7.1 installed - no net connection, no
stuffit, no browser, etc...  and now (after about 2.5 hrs) I have 1.4
installed on it (soon to be 1.4.1!).

On the other hand, if you have that connection to the NT server, you may be
able to just use transmac to get stuffit over to the mac, then grab files
off of your NT box and drop'em into stuffit on the mac - much easier than
shuttling around 18 floppies!

Please let me know how things turn out...  And please feel free to bug me -
I'll do what I can.

P.S. - make sure that "Options->PC to MAC settings" has the "HQX" type
selected...

-Jon Lindgren
 "My employer apologizes for their love of markup."

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF10AD.2E3BAD10

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: netboot from system 7.1?  (was: how to install on a cold =
IIcx?)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I've tried both &quot;transmac&quot; and =
AppleTalk (NT - shared directory)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; without succseed.&nbsp; Both of them manage to =
copy the disk sets from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Apple (ftp) to the mac, but my system 7.1 just =
proclaim that it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; could'nt open the files because the program =
that created the file</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; is not present.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; maybe I am missing some system =
components?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>No.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Basically, transmac can do the following: unpack an =
hqx, and write the resulting image to a mac disk.&nbsp; This way, it =
creates the proper data/text (forget which two pieces they are) for =
each file, ignoring what other OSs tend to do to compound files. Mr. =
Hotz refered to this in his email:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The usual way to do this is to use .hqx files, =
which are text</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; encoded, and feed them to something like =
Stuffit Expander.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Of course, we don't have stuffit expander.&nbsp; =
Chicken and the egg, right?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So transmac will do the part of stuffit here; it'll =
take a straight text .hqx file (from NT in this case) and allow you to =
format a MAC disk and decode the hqx to the MAC disk.&nbsp; That way, =
we can break the poultry/ovum cycle.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Part one of the 7.5.3 disk set should produce an smi =
file (self mounting image), and the rest should produce part01-part18 =
files.&nbsp; Once you've copied them all to the mac's HD, you should be =
able to double click on the smi file, and it should verify then mount a =
new volume on your desktop.&nbsp; Under this new volume is the 7.5.3 =
install stuff...&nbsp; This _does_ work - I started off with a Quadra =
650 with MacOS 7.1 installed - no net connection, no stuffit, no =
browser, etc...&nbsp; and now (after about 2.5 hrs) I have 1.4 =
installed on it (soon to be 1.4.1!).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On the other hand, if you have that connection to the =
NT server, you may be able to just use transmac to get stuffit over to =
the mac, then grab files off of your NT box and drop'em into stuffit on =
the mac - much easier than shuttling around 18 floppies!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please let me know how things turn out...&nbsp; And =
please feel free to bug me - I'll do what I can.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>P.S. - make sure that &quot;Options-&gt;PC to MAC =
settings&quot; has the &quot;HQX&quot; type selected...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Jon Lindgren </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&quot;My employer apologizes for their love of =
markup.&quot; </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>