Subject: netboot from system 7.1? (was: how to install on a cold IIcx?)
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Tommy Smith <thsmith@online.no>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1999 19:35:57
Thanks for all good suggestions!

> Starting with an NT machine?  You're asking how you deal with Apple
> DiskCopy images on a Windoze NT machine?  Good luck!
Yea, it is a problem, isn't it?

>=20
> Didn't that Mac IIcx come with *any* boot disks at all? =20
Probably, but where is it?  (This machine is old, and I am probably not =
the 2nd owner, but maybe the 5th).

I have a small SCSI disk (40Mb) with System 7.1 on it. =20
I also have a 120Mb empty SCSI disk, but I probably wont be able to put =
it into the IIcx.=20
I have no CD player.

I managed to mount a shared directory on the Windows NT computer, but =
still the downloaded 7.5.3 files doesnt help me much.  The nice mac just =
mark them as PC files, and thats it.  What can I do to install the =
system from there?

As you can see I am a fresh mac owner, but I intend to get it in network =
with my VAXstation 3100 already running NetBSD.

Another option is to just leave the system 7.1 intact, and netboot the =
mac from NetBSD/vax.  Is this possible?

Thanks...

-Tommy