Subject: Re: console updates
To: Adam Wight <adamw@tulum.brsys.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1999 11:27:08
> I just installed netbsd on my quadra 630 and got some highly experimental
> changes to the console working (much faster, color/bold, etc.), but I was

Cool beanies!

> -How attached are people to the 6x10 font?

Tiny-screened folks probably like it.  I know I preferred that font for
debugging and for working on the SE/30 years ago (I forget: what is the
resolution on a "toaster" mac?).  It might be nice to have a faster font,
though, for the "normal" case.  Perhaps choosing automatically unless
it's wired down.

> -Does anyone know if videorowbytes can ever != screenbytes, and if so, if
> writing into the memory "gaps" can cause trouble?

As mrz said, videorowbytes may often be the same as screenbytes, but it
may not.  On a PC card that I dealt with at work (Cornerstone ImageAccel),
videorowbytes was always 2048.  With 2MB of RAM, they got 1600x1280x8 out
of it by using the 1600-2048 chunks off the right side of the display
area to fill in the bottom.  Not pretty.

> p.s. - I don't know how people on this like long patches, so for now if anyone
> wants to test the changes I've made, please e-mail me.

It's better to put these up for FTP or HTTP download.  If you don't have
space for this, I can put patches on ftp.macbsd.com or www.macbsd.com.

-allen