Subject: Re: Hanging on logout after lynx crash
To: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1999 11:35:51
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Larry Kollar wrote:

> System in question: SE/30, 8MB RAM, 20MB swap, NetBSD 1.4, text-only.
>
> I recently installed Lynx 2.8.2 from the binary packages since I needed
> one of the new features (specifically, using an editor on TEXTAREAs).
> Unfortunately, Lynx will crash and dump core after editing a form.
>
> It gets worse... things seem to be OK, I rm lynx.core and start it again.
> But when I wrap up and log out, the screen goes blank and stays that way
> (no login prompt). It seems the only way out is to hit the interrupt
> switch and reboot from the debugger.

My guess is you're running out of swap. If it's not practical to
increase your swap, try *lowering* your shell's per process limits,
('ulimit' in sh, 'limit' in [t]csh).

If you can get to the debugger prompt, see what 't' and 'ps' shows.
Also from the debugger, 'kill 1', then 'c' (may) shut you down to
single-user. It's even possible, sometimes, to kill a runaway process
and return to multi-user mode: 'ps', 'kill 0txxx', 'c'.

> I'm about to upgrade the system -- put 1.4.1 on a bigger hard drive --
> so if the answer is "upgrade," I'm willing. :-)

1.4.1. and 1.4.1+release are more stable than 1.4, but there are no
guarantees. I just had my first panic last night due to a looping
"make" (left out an .endif), but my shell's limits were too high.

A bigger hard drive (and more swap) might make more of a difference.