Subject: Re: compiling non-booting kernels (whee!)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1999 15:49:35
Verily did Frederick Bruckman write:

>> I've installed 1.4D snapshot in my Quadra 700 and have been building
>> packagesrc-ish things for a while.

>> I decided to get current, so I downloaded the latest, built a kernel, and
>> typed "make build" on the userland (before rebooting).

> Not a good idea. Best to always make sure the kernel boots first.

Yeah yeah, I don't generally do that, but I'm sure I had a good reason
this time (now if I could only remember why  :)

>> When I boot, it doesn't make it to the line that mentions "a.out ..." (a
>> line or two above the "Reagents of Calif" copyright).

>> Fortunately, I can boot back to the 1.4D GENERIC kernel.

> Fortunately indeed. Worst case, "init" and several daemons use
> syscalls that weren't in 1.4D, and so dump core immediately.

Yeah, done that with /sparc a few times in the past.  (booting an older
kernel because brand new one broke and I forgot name of next-newest one)

>> I guess I am asking if this is a known problem, or if I am missing
>> something important in my kernel config file.

> It looks OK to me. You don't need FPU_EMULATE for the Q700, nor
> RTC_OFFSET. The latter is for PC's. MacOS sets the real-time clock to
> GMT (on my Mac's at least), as NetBSD prefers. KMEMSTATS is doc'd (in

Then why is RTC_OFFSET in src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC?

(grumble, b*tch, moan...)

I'll file a pr on that one, then.

>> options         NTP             # NTP phase/frequency locked loop

> I'd be curious to know how that works, especially with the net/ntp4
> package. On Quadra 840AV running 1.4.1, it never syncs. "ntpq -c pe"
> shows the offset pegged at ~500ms most of the time, with or without
> the kernel PLL. Allen Briggs made changes to the interrupt scheme in
> current that could help with that.

ok, I'll let you know how it goes.

I guess maybe I should have introduced myself.. I've been dinking with
NetBSD since pre-1.0, mostly on /i386 and /sparc.  I've shuffled tons
of mac hardware (IIci's, IIfx, C650) that was given to me to a certain
unnamed /mac68k developer in the last two years without really touching
them (too damn slow!).  I recently bought my wife a 400MHz B/W G3 and
she hastily unloaded the Quadra onto me.  I decided to tinker with it
a bit since it's a "real" '040.

And here we are.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_
                                                       (_)/ (_)
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.