Subject: compiling non-booting kernels (whee!)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1999 20:42:14
Hello,

I've installed 1.4D snapshot in my Quadra 700 and have been building
packagesrc-ish things for a while.

I decided to get current, so I downloaded the latest, built a kernel, and
typed "make build" on the userland (before rebooting).  I had to re-build
make(1) and config(1) as expected, and everything appeared to work just fine
(other than it's SLOW!).

When I boot, it doesn't make it to the line that mentions "a.out ..." (a line
or two above the "Reagents of Calif" copyright).

Fortunately, I can boot back to the 1.4D GENERIC kernel.

I guess I am asking if this is a known problem, or if I am missing something
important in my kernel config file.

Here's my config file, sans comments and blank lines:

: maverick:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf; egrep -v '^#|^$' MAVERICK
include "arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k"
maxusers        32              # estimated number of users
options         M68040
options         FPSP
options         FPU_EMULATE
options         INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels
options         RTC_OFFSET=360  # hardware clock is this many mins. west of GMT
options         NTP             # NTP phase/frequency locked loop
options         KTRACE          # system call tracing via ktrace(1)
options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like message queues
options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like memory sharing
options         LKM             # loadable kernel modules
options         DIAGNOSTIC      # cheap kernel consistency checks
options         KMEMSTATS       # kernel memory statistics (vmstat -m)
options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD
file-system     FFS             # UFS
file-system     MFS             # memory file system
file-system     NFS             # Network File System client
file-system     CD9660          # ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge file system
file-system     MSDOSFS         # MS-DOS file system
file-system     FDESC           # /dev/fd
options         NFSSERVER       # Network File System server
                                # immutable) behave as system flags.
options         GATEWAY         # packet forwarding
options         INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
options         PFIL_HOOKS      # pfil(9) packet filter hooks
options         IPFILTER_LOG    # ipmon(8) log support
options         IPFORWSRCRT=0   # Turn off source routing
options         SCSIVERBOSE     # human readable SCSI error messages
options         GRF_COMPAT      # Include grf compatibility code
options         ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT
options         NFS_BOOT_BOOTP
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
mainbus0 at root
fpu0 at mainbus?                        # Floating-Point Coprocessor support
obio0 at mainbus?
nubus0 at mainbus?
adb0    at obio?
aed*    at adb?                         # ADB event device
kbd*    at adb?                         # ADB keyboard
ms*     at adb?                         # ADB mouse
intvid0 at obio?                        # Internal video hardware
grf*    at intvid?
ite0    at grf?
zsc0    at obio?
zstty*  at zsc? channel ?
esp0    at obio?                        # SCSI NCR 53C9x
scsibus* at scsi?
sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI disk drives
st*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI tape drives
cd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI CD-ROM drives
ch*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI autochangers
se*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI ethernet
ss*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI scanners
uk*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI unknown
iwm0    at obio?                        # Sony driver (800K GCR)
fd*     at iwm? drive ?
sn*     at obio?                        # SONIC-based (DP83932, DP83916)
asc0    at obio?                        # ASC/EASC audio
pseudo-device   vnd             4       # disk-like interface to files
pseudo-device   bpfilter        12      # Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   ipfilter                # IP filter (firewall) and NAT
pseudo-device   loop                    # network loopback
pseudo-device   ppp             2       # Point-to-Point Protocol
pseudo-device   pty             256     # pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device   rnd                     # /dev/random and in-kernel generator

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_
                                                       (_)/ (_)
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.