Subject: RE: X
To: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/12/1999 09:26:02
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Paul Thompson wrote:

> It doesn't matter which window manager I use. The ~/.xession which I have
> is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xterm &
> exec fvwm2
>
> *or*
>
> exec twm

When I was running twm/xsm, I would use "exec xsm". "twm" just
decorates--it can't be a session leader.

Can you telnet in after xdm fails and see what's in
~/.xsession-errors?

> In fact, I've noticed that even if you dont log onto the console it goes
> black for a second or two, like its going to sleep, even though the 5
> minutes is not up :-) then it starts again. If I do a ps -ax on the the
> processes, I notice that xdm is running twice.

I don't understand. When does the screen go blank? Every two minutes?
xdm spawns a process for each Xserver, so that much is normal.