Subject: Re: netbsd on orange pc card?
To: ulrich hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1999 21:59:54
At 8:29 Uhr +0200 11.09.1999, ulrich hausmann wrote:
>by chance, i got an old orange micro 200 pc nubus card (with pcmcia
>slot and - upgraded - cyrix 586 120 mhz processor, 1 27 pin simm slot,
>which can take up to 32 MB, eventually, using a big-simm, even 64 or
>128) from a surplus. i tested it on my q 950 (which is still my main
>working machine, running mac os though . . .) and it seems to work
>correctly. now some questions in regard:
>
>- would it be possible to install and run netbsd on that card? iow,
>would there be a way to have netbsd dealing with the (virtual) hds
>those pc cards need as well as with the keyboard, mouse etc.?

Can you run an unmodified M$DOS or Winblows on the card, or do you have to
have special drivers? I.e. is the plumbing done by software magic or by
ASICs emulating peecee hardware?

Anyway, the thing is as simple as rawrite'ing or dd'ing a
NetBSD/FreeBSD/what-have-you disk image to a 1M44 diskette and boot from
that (if you can boot the thing from floppy disk, that is).

>i heard from someone here (hauke? or was it elsewhere?), he was running
>mklinux successfully under virtual pc, so  . . .

Nope. I don't do linux if I can avoid it.  ;)
And mklinux is ppc only, so no go on virtual pc which is x86...

	hauke