Subject: Re: siag package building prob
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1999 04:06:35
On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > I don't see why that should be a problem. Do you have an old ncurses.h
> > in /usr/pkg/includes?
>
> 210: /home/fredfl2 # ls -l ncurses.h
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  56312 Dec 30  1998 ncurses.h
>
> That seems pretty old.  Do I need that in there? If it needs
> to be replaced, where should I get a recent copy?

"Old" as in, from the "old" ncurses-1.9.9g. There was a specific
problem reported, that ncurses-4.2 wouldn't build if there was an old
/usr/pkg/include/ncurses.h lying around. The "recommended" way to
upgrade is to remove the old package before building. I never do that,
though, and ncurses is the first package that ever gave me a problem.

Of course, ncurses-4.2 installs it's own ncurses.h. What that file is,
is the interface to the ncurses library. You need that for building
applications that use ncurses, but never to run them.

You can see who any file in your pkg tree belongs to with the "-F"
option to pkg_info, .e.g. "pkg_info -iF /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.h"
should give "Information for ncurses-1.9.9g:" before the upgrade,
although in this case it would have been an easy guess.