Subject: Forgotten password help?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Linker <dtlinker@u.washington.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1999 14:28:29
I know this is stupid, but I have an SE/30 that I put NetBSD 1.4 on, and am
gradually setting up to do something useful. It is off most of the time, so
a long time passed between uses.

The short story is: I forgot the password. This is for root, since I didn't
create any other users, and I only made the password becuase the last thing
I was testing was pppd connections to the net, and I wanted to have some
protection when I hooked up.

Is there a simple way out? I looked with the mini-shell in the installer,
and saw a file /etc/passwd which looks like a good candidate for the
location, but in the mini shell I can only replace a file or delete it, not
edit. Also there are other "users" listed, including toor.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I already realize that the best one
is "remember the password"! I am still trying to remember!

DTL