Subject: Re: fstat: no such file or directory
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1999 09:57:51
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>IIRC this is one of the hard drives specifically noted as having
>problems with the ncrscsi driver. Have you tried an SBC kernel? I have
>one of those dogs that I now trust only for a MacOS scratch partition.
>>From time to time it makes alarming noises, but it quiets down after a
>while. Hasn't given up the ghost yet...

Really? I have several of them - most used as Mac discs, and have never had
any trouble at all with them. The drive in question has been used daily for
6 months to record music (BIG files!) without difficulty.

SBC is worth a try. So I tried it just now. Booting from a Mac copy still says

root on sd1a dumps on sd1b

but then it goes on to complete the boot!

Confusing, because I thought that the choice between SBC and non-SBC
depended on the chip used by the MOTHERBOARD, not the choice of drive!

Also, it still won't boot from the NetBSD drive, in the normal way.
I think I may know why - where is the kernel supposed to go when you
install it? I cannot find it anywhere! I thought it was supposed to be at
the top level, as an ordinary file.

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)