Subject: Re: was: mail is: starting imap-uw
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
From: Christopher Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1999 13:02:03
Guy Santiglia wrote:

> > > I would recommend installing /usr/pkgsrc/mail/imap-uw . This is the imap
> > > server from the University of Washington. It is notable because it
> > > provides both imap and pop3 in one package. It also integrates cleanly
> > > with netbsd, in that it uses your default username and password, and
> > > shares your default unix mailbox (as well as any mail folders you might
> > > have in your home directory). So it's basically plug and play.
> > >

>   Are there any tricks to starting that imap-uw server daemon?
> It built and installed no problem and made an entry for it in
> my /etc/inetd.conf file, like this:
>
> imap  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/pkg/libexec/imapd imapd
>
> I have the inetd daemon enabled in the rc.conf file.  What else do I have
> to do, to get this thing running?  It's supposed to be plug and play,
> but I'm having trouble pluging it in.

inetd should start it automatically when a client connects requesting
that service. One difference I note between your configuration and mine:

imap2  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/pkg/libexec/imapd   imapd

Note the "imap2". Look in /etc/services for a mapping of symbolic names
(imap2, pop3, etc) to port numbers (143, 110, etc).

Once you make that change, you can test that the imap server is indeed
running by doing a "telnet localhost 143" . You should receive the following:

* OK localhost IMAP4rev1 v12.250 server ready

To exit, type ". logout" (That's a period, a space, "logout" and return)

Then test it by trying to connect to your server with a client. In your
client's mail server preferences, set your server to be both the smtp
and the imap client. Use your unix login name and password for login and
password. You should see your inbox once it connects. Send email to
yourself with your full email address and see if it shows up in your inbox.

--
Chris Brown -- Macintosh networking/Web development
<chrsbrwn@mindspring.com> <http://www.mindspring.com/~chrsbrwn>