Subject: RE: .login .profile .cshrc
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/05/1999 23:26:27
On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Steve Revilak wrote:

> I'm not familiar with koffice, but my guess is that it needs to see that
> expression evaluated each time a subshell is spawned.

Actually, $KDEDIR/$QTDIR are for the most part depreciated in the HEAD
branch of KDE.  The only time $QTDIR needs to be set (in my experience) is
when actually building Qt.

> I'm not sure /etc/csh.cshrc would be evaluated each time a user started
> a subshell....

From the fbsd man page for csh:

     An instance of csh begins by executing commands from the file
     /etc/csh.cshrc and, if this is a login shell, /etc/csh.login. It then ex-
     ecutes commands from .cshrc in the home directory of the invoker, and, if
     this is a login shell, the file .login in the same location.  It is typi-
     cal for users on crt's to put the command ``stty crt'' in their .login
     file, and to also invoke tset(1) there.

Similar amusing things also happen WRT to sh and login shells.

- alex