Subject: Re: Old Mac + big drive = no BSD?
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1999 12:15:15
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

> At those times I discussed the problem with the Seagte tech guy on CIS
> and according to him, a Barracuda even on the IIci would need a more
> powerful power supply. Anyway, if you can access some other power
> supply, even of a pc, you could check this way, whether or not it is a
> power up problem. Moreover, try to get the jumper scheme, may be you
> can change the spindle up time of the hd.

I'm not sure about the jumpers, but I do know that the Seagate Barricuda
drives take a long time to spin up no matter what the supply.  I had one
in an external case, and it took a while.  Same thing internally in a
7100.  It just has a very long spin up time, and a long spin-down time,
too, though it may be that the brakes just need to be adjusted on that
drive.

It _would_ probably be a good idea to up the supply if you suspect that
you're overloading it, especially if you have cards in the machine drawing
current.  If you're really pulling enough current to cause a voltage drop
(as opposed to just overheating the supply and reducing its life), odds
are the drive will kick out, or at least that's been my experience.  YMMV.
:-)

Later,
David