Subject: Re: 1.4 kernels and scsi support
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1999 00:59:29
User Ken Nakata says:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:24:11 -0500 (CDT), bob@kunk.jriver.com wrote:
> > I'm working with a performa 575 and netbsd 1.4 release 6/22/99
> >
> > I've tried 3 scsi drives so far with the following results..
> [...]
> I'd make sure the bus is terminated properly.

I've been really careful about that. One thing does mystify me though...
The performa has the internal hard drive on the end of the internal
cable and a CDROM inline on the internal cable. The internal cable ends at the
connector to the motherboard. In my system, the hard drive is terminated and I
assume the other end of the termination is on the motherboard. What happens
though when you plug in an external drive? Does the motherboard automatically
switch off it's internal termination because the external drive must be
terminated?

> > I tried all 3 cases on both the generic and sbc kernels. No difference.
>
> Expected and completely normal.  575 is an 040 based box with an
> NCR58C94 (or was it 58C96?) chip which is different from all 030 boxes
> and PowerBooks (incl. the 500 series).  So, neither ncrscsi nor sbc
> driver is used but esp driver is used instead.

Cool, that explains my results...

Bob
--
Robert E. Brose II    N0QBJ